[ubuntu-uk] wifi dongles

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 11:57:05 UTC 2016

On 01/12/16 11:18, George Tripp wrote:
> Thanks for all your replies. The thing is I recently bought one on Amazon. It turned out that it definitely wasn't plug and play. It did include a linux driver you had to compile. I'm afraid I failed at this and ended up returning it. I wanted to avoid repeating this! (I have one I bought years ago from the Linux Emporium & that just works.)

I've never needed to compile a driver for a Wifi Dongle. Most all use
the same chipsets and are well supported.

if you struggle to find one that works try buying one which is supported
by Raspberry Pi.. If it works on Raspbian (a Debian derivative) it's
almost certain to work on Ubuntu.

Try searching for "raspberry pi wifi dongle" - that should give you
loads of compatible options.

Al