[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Laptop

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 18:22:19 UTC 2016

I totally agree that looking for a laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed is probably not the best approach.

If it were a straight choice between buying model X with Windows or Ubuntu for the same price, then that would be very satisfying from an idealogical perspective. Back in the real world, however, you have to pragmatic - especially if you are on a modest budget.

Best just buy the laptop which meets your requirements in terms of spec and price then overwrite Windows with Ubuntu as soon as you take it out of the box. Unless it is a very new model you will have no problem finding advice on the internet as to how well it runs Ubuntu before committing yourself. I've yet to find a desktop or laptop from a mainstream manufacturer which wouldn't run Ubuntu or, failing that, Mint with little or no configuration using a clean install - though I've had one or two issues trying to set up dual boot.

Nige