[ubuntu-uk] Corrupt VLC problem in 4.2014

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 20:03:51 UTC 2016

On 4 April 2016 at 20:32, Michael <help at ukcentre.com> wrote:
> I tried deleting in terminal but did not.
> A DVD causes drive-chatter, sometimes a box of error messages, but no
> playback possible, just shows the disc title.
> Was good, looks like VLC corruption has developed.

VLC will not have become corrupted.  It is just possible that some of
it's settings may have become messed up.  To check that logon as Guest
and try vlc again, that will give you a new set of settings for the
app.  If it works in guest then I suggest removing (back in your
normal login) the folder .config/vlc which I believe contains your
personal vlc settings.

> I'm hoping a complete removal is possible in terminal, is anybody able to
> tell me what to do, please ?

If you really want to remove it then
sudo apt purge vlc
That will remove the app and all configuration files installed by vlc.
To remove your personal settings for vlc remove the folder .config/vlc
as mentioned above.

However it sounds more like a hardware issue to me.  Does the drive
still work in a different player?

Colin