[ubuntu-uk] High Capacity SD cards

Stuart Ward stuart.ward at bcs.org
Mon Sep 14 11:30:48 UTC 2015

On 8 September 2015 at 08:22, Nigel Verity <nigelverity at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can anybody assure me that SD cards of this capacity will actually be
> usable?

I bought a cheep 128GB thumb drive, but had to run badblocks on it when I
first got it to flush out all the bad sectors before it could be relied on.
I would be hesitant to rely on data written to these devices being
preserved for a significant length of time. If you are using for monthly
backups and rewriting the data then you should be fine, but trying to read
data written a couple of years ago may cause problems.

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143