[ubuntu-uk] $5 Computer

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Nov 27 16:02:53 UTC 2015

On 26/11/15 14:46, Simon Greenwood wrote:
> On 26 November 2015 at 14:31, Alan Lord <alanslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 26/11/15 14:03, Alan Pope wrote:
>>

>>> I remember my brother getting music magazines with promo plastic
>>> records on the front :)
>>>

>> lol - *I* remember getting those bendy 45s on the front of magazines...
>>
>> ​
> Me too - I still have a few in my singles case​. Getting a record player
> set up is scheduled for some time next year...
>
> ​s​/

LOL LOL
My first job needed a slide rule use a LOT... One day I needed to calc
a large number of square roots. Went to a special large room
(cupboard)  with only a table chair and a 10-digit nixie tube display
mans powered calculator. Later on that day I went back to the shop
floor where we made valves. (Valves are glass things like old light
bulbs, only they had lots of stuff inside and lots of plug in
connecting pins). Said hello to the glass blowers, and skirted around
the mercury vacuum pumps, to get to my desk...

Ah! Those were the days! #computing

NB a slide rule is a special little stick with markings along it. Good
for lots of uses including I suppose building the pyramids.

Bye all
;-)

--
alan cocks