[ubuntu-uk] Linux on the cheap?

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Sat Nov 21 22:21:15 UTC 2015

On 22/09/15 19:59, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 22 September 2015 at 19:49, Steve Mynott <steve.mynott at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyone any recommendations for very cheap laptops (ideally netbook
>> like form factor) with good linux support?
>>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/ubuntu
>
> One of those perhaps.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Although they look like great laptops, and just what I am looking for at
present, Ebuyer no longer stock them.

My partner has a Dell Inspiron which is a few years old now, it came
preinstalled with Ubuntu, and today it will not boot. Might be just the
battery or the PSU, but if the whole laptop is dead, then she needs a
new one, so I am looking for a new laptop. The idea is to buy one with
Ubuntu pre-installed, or another Linux OS, as then we are certain that
the correct hardware drivers will be available and loaded.

Does anyone have any good recommendations, looking in the £300 to £400
price range? Dell still do Ubuntu laptops but they are way more
expensive than they used to be (the Inspiron only cost £300).

David King