[ubuntu-uk] Network Enlightenment

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:24:54 UTC 2015

Hi

I have arrived at a situation where I have 2 routers in my home network.

Router A provides the connection back to my iSP while router B serves purely as a wireless access point. B is connected to A.

I connect wired devices to router A through powerline adaptors and wireless devices talk to router B.

There is no real need for the wired and wireless devices to talk to each other, so the fact that they don't have sight of each other is not a problem.

I recently discovered that my Dell laptop routinely had both wired and a wireless interfaces active. This means it was accessing both routers simultaneously.

The wireless connection on the Dell is now switched off, but I can't say I've noticed any change to internet performance for better or worse. The route duplication seems to have been managed perfectly well without any explicit configuration on my part.

For my own enlightenment can anybody with more networking knowledge than me (which is practically everyone) suggest how my internet traffic is likely to have been routed across these two connections? I would have expected contention at the very least.

I doubt that it's relevant in this instance but the Dell runs Ubuntu Mate 15.04

Thanks

Nige