[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu phone issues not good for Ubuntu reputation

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 17:33:55 UTC 2015

It is a bit of an odd launch, but I have fairly low expectations. We
were in the first batch but don't have handsets yet, probably confused
them by ordering two rather than one so they will have to think about
how to package it. I am trying hard not to compare it with any kind of
Apple launch and I have never really observed any android device launch,
I just go to the shop and buy one if I want one. I think we just don't
see distance selling product launches and our expectations are formed by
Apple stuff and Amazon pre-orders for books and DVDs where the order
turns up in the post on the launch date. If you think of it as a month
of occasional pre-orders for an launch date of today(ish) then it
suddenly seems massively more reasonable - they just called what was
actually the start of pre-orders the "launch date".

I think the problem for me is that whilst I had very low expectations
around logistics, I had higher expectations of what I can do on the
platform with web apps. The web app API documentation has been pulled
(API and Cookbook links on
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/web/ubuntu-webapps-guide/) and that
whole chunk of platform integration functionality is deprecated/missing
for remote web apps and reserved for locally installed HTML5
applications, which wasn't really what I was expecting so I am trying to
drag my expectations down to the new reality.

Alan.