[ubuntu-uk] SOT - What phone do you use?

Gordon Burgess-Parker gordonbp at owncube.email
Sat Mar 14 15:47:20 UTC 2015

On 14/03/15 11:41, Barry Drake wrote:
> On 06/03/15 09:10, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>>
>> Just trying to get a straw poll of what phones people use here and >
>> why.......
>>

> Mine's currently a Huawei Ascend Y300-100.  I got it because it was a
> cheap option, with a lot of internal memory (I thought).  In practice,
> I haven't found a way or rooting it, so the useable memory now is less
> than I achieved on my rooted Samsung Galaxy. Memory handling is awful
> on Android systems.  I think you need to do a factory reset every six
> months.  Also, I've now gone very sour towards Android since I bought
> an Android Tablet, and got so frustrated with the way it wanted me to
> work that I gave it the grand kids.

I quite agree with you about Android phones! I have a Sony Xperia E3
that has 8GB internal storage with <1GB free. I also have a Windows
phone, with 8GB internal storage that with very similar apps installed
has >3GB free! How can that be?

> I expect my next phone will be an Ubuntu Phone.  It will depend on
> what apps I can get for it.  The only two Android apps I depend on are
> the free satnav app, and the Virgin phone app that lets me make WiFi
> calls from anywhere in the world via my landline based system.

As long as the phone can access Owncloud calendar, tasks and Contacts,
then it'll do for me!