[ubuntu-uk] Enabling Wake on Lan on Ubuntu laptop

Matt Wheeler m at funkyhat.org
Thu Jun 25 10:13:42 UTC 2015

On 25 June 2015 at 08:00, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Generally speaking it looks like it isn't possible over wifi for a couple of
> reasons: for one it just doesn't work as the 'magic packet' can't be sent.
> For two, a suspended laptop is effectively off, just with its state saved
> and isn't listening to anything. My laptop certainly needs to connect to
> wifi when woken up and I would assume most others do as well.

There is a wireless version of WoL, WoWLan. Unfortunately the
documentation for it is a bit thin, and a few other people have asked
in various places and not found answers yet, eg:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/wake-on-wireless-lan-wowlan-help-requested-944572/

Here is the page about it on the kernel wiki:

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/documentation/wowlan

Try running `iw help wowlan` to get some more clues, but this might
work (I don't have a system here I can try it on, sorry):

`iw phy`  # to get your wireless device name
`iw ${devname} wowlan enable magic-packet`

Whether it's possible at all will depend on you having a wireless card
that supports it, and using it will use more power than a full
suspend, of course.

--
Matt Wheeler
http://funkyh.at