[ubuntu-uk] Looking for old computers

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Thu Jun 25 10:12:52 UTC 2015

On 25/06/15 10:41, Simon Greenwood wrote:
> I came across PeppermintOS[1] recently, which is an LXDE based
> distribution but a nicely designed one that replaces Firefox with
> Chromium and has an inbuilt system for Chrome app integration. I'm
> running it on a four year old Lenovo AMD netbook which was starting to
> struggle with Xubuntu and it's increased its battery life if nothing else.

That's interesting!  My old pentium 4 has only 256 Mb ram.  I'm going to
try some old dimm cards to see if any are compatible - Mate and most
other lightweights need at least 500 Mb - but Peppermint seems to be
able to work with the 256 Mb that the machine already has.   I'll give
it a try.

I'm in the process of installing Mate on the other machine - it doesn't
crash if I don't add nomodeset to the boot parameters.  That's quite
something.

Regards,		Barry.
--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/