[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Pre installed - HP 'standard images' 'may not work' WTF

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Jun 8 17:54:53 UTC 2015

On 07/06/15 10:53, alan c wrote:
> On 07/06/15 10:50, alan c wrote:
>> I was very interested in the HP laptops on EBuyer - Ubuntu pre installed.
>> '..HP ProBook 455 Notebook PC is powered by an AMD A10-7300 APU with
>> AMD Radeonâ„¢ R6 Graphics. ..'
>> http://www.ebuyer.com/705955-hp-455-quad-core-laptop-l8b56es
>>
>> then I came across the caviat on the official certification site
>> ==================
>> 2) Standard images of Ubuntu may not work at all on the system or may
>> not work well, though Canonical and computer manufacturers will try to
>> certify the system with future standard releases of Ubuntu.
>> ==================
>> Mmm. Not so keen now.
>>
>> I dont mind mmc cards not working or some specific slowness, but
>> 'Standard images of Ubuntu may not work at all' For heavens sakes?
>> Looks like a no deal, and something of a poison pill?
>> Comments please?
>>

> Woops forgot link apologies
> http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201404-14968/

Unfortunately the EBuyer Staff replied to a recent question:
Q  Michael Crees asks:
Is this a stock Ubuntu install, or are there specific modifications to
make it work with the hardware? Posted on 03/05/15 09:26
A  Rachael answered:
Hi, This will be standard Ubuntu, HP don't do any work on Linux OS so
there will be no forking. I hope this helps. Thanks Rachael
Answered on 20/05/15 09:48

This is possibly very misleading, if the model is the G2 mentioned in
the  link
  http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201404-14968/

My own recent question
Q 'Some versions of the hardware apparently do not work with standard
images of Ubuntu -
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201404-14968/  I am a
Ubuntu user, and standard images are very important to me. Does this
item Run Ubuntu 12.04.4 standard image ok? Does this item run standard
images in LIVE session please?'

has disappeared! it is not listed in the unanswered questions, nor is
it in the answered questions. I trust it is being given careful
consideration.

--
alan cocks