[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Pre installed - HP 'standard images' 'may not work' WTF

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Jun 7 19:50:25 UTC 2015

On 07/06/15 18:35, Simon Greenwood wrote:
> It's probably more about the training that HP's support teams have been
> given. Until very recently the support cycle of most PCs would assume that
> they had the same OS throughout their lifespan because few people even
> upgrade the version of Windows they use, so to allow the people on the
> phones to be able to support the new laptops, the decision has been to go
> with an old (but still supported) LTS release and to issue a caveat that
> new releases 'might not' work but from experience the probability is fairly
> low.
>
> The big hardware companies have been very conservative with regard to
> Linux. In a project I worked on in 2009 HP were advocating RHEL 4 as a
> server platform when RHEL 5 was two years old. They've probably only just
> got onto 5, or possibly 6.
>
> s/

Thank you, yes perhaps.
Although I noted, a while ago that both Dell and HP were selling
Ubuntu pre installed machines on the high street in - India....
So hopefully the hardware  issues would then and now, be fairly well
known and not come as a bad surprise to the central tech teams.
Anyway, thankful for whatever.
 From 2013:
http://blog.canonical.com/2013/10/01/ubuntu-pre-installed-and-in-retail-worldwide/

--