[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Pre installed - HP 'standard images' 'may not work' WTF

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 10:23:08 UTC 2015

On 7 June 2015 at 10:50, alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
> I was very interested in the HP laptops on EBuyer - Ubuntu pre installed.
> '..HP ProBook 455 Notebook PC is powered by an AMD A10-7300 APU with AMD
> Radeon™ R6 Graphics. ..'
> http://www.ebuyer.com/705955-hp-455-quad-core-laptop-l8b56es
>
> then I came across the caviat on the official certification site
> ==================
> 2) Standard images of Ubuntu may not work at all on the system or may not
> work well, though Canonical and computer manufacturers will try to certify
> the system with future standard releases of Ubuntu.
> ==================
> Mmm. Not so keen now.
>
> I dont mind mmc cards not working or some specific slowness, but 'Standard
> images of Ubuntu may not work at all' For heavens sakes?
> Looks like a no deal, and something of a poison pill?

My interpretation of that would be that the system will work as
supplied but if you replaced the supplied system with a standard
Ubuntu one there is no guarantee.  I don't see that is unreasonable.
One cannot expect them to guarantee that the machine will work with
all future versions of Ubuntu any more than if you buy a Windows
machine it is guaranteed to work with all future versions of Windows.

You are still better off than buying one without Ubuntu pre-installed,
as that is not guaranteed to work at all with Ubuntu.

However I think I would want one with 14.04 not 12.04.

Colin