[ubuntu-uk] Is the new UK Computing GCSE any better for FOSS?

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Tue Jan 27 19:33:50 UTC 2015

On 27/01/15 19:25, oli_kester wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 17:17:05 +0000 From: Barry Titterton
>> <titterton.barry at gmail.com> To: "Talk, UK"
>> <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: [ubuntu-uk] Is the new UK
>> Computing GCSE any better for FOSS? Message-ID:
>> <54BFDF11.8070305 at gmail.com> Content-Type: text/plain;
>> charset=utf-8; format=flowed
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Do any members of this list have contact with the UK education
>> system? My own sons are well past GCSE education but I am still
>> interested what the schools are teaching today as I am actively
>> trying to evangelise FOSS in my local area. I am specifically
>> interested in the newly introduced Computing GCSE. Is it any
>> better at covering FOSS issues?
>>
>> I am under the impression that the UK education system has, for
>> the last generation, taught the mantra:-
>>
>> Microsoft = Computers and visa versa
>
> I recently (within the last five years or so) went through this
> education system myself, and I definitely agree with this being the
> message - especially in the younger stages of education. It was
> only in the upper stages (into my late teens) that we were given
> any inclination that other ways of using hardware existed!
>
>> The new GCSE is, in my understanding, supposed to teach a more
>> rounded approach to computer science. However a quick look at the
>> BBC Bitesize revision aid has the following page:-
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/z6r86sg/revision/4
>>
>> ...with the graphic at the bottom describing open source software
>> as having "No guarantees of high quality". Most of us (sarcasm
>> alert) are well aware about the high quality experience that one
>> gets from some proprietary software so I found this comment to be
>> rather unfair. Therefore, returning to my original question, does
>> anyone know if the new GCSE course content give FOSS a fair
>> review?
>
> I certainly hope so - there's no excuse given the big usability
> improvements to Ubuntu and GNU/Linux in general over the past
> decade - and with recent innovations like the Raspberry Pi. I do
> remember my school talking of getting some of those for use by
> students when I was there about three years ago. It would be
> interesting to know whether they did so in the end.
>
> Best,
>
> Oliver

I think schools get them,  realise they cna't use them and put them in
a store room.  We had an apprentice come to the last pi jam, and he
said they hardly cover Linux,  or what they cover was the fact it is
out there.

Unless the people teaching a) have experience and b) have a good
experience with it,  then there is no way they are going to try and
teach it,

It may be down to people here trying to reach out to users and support
pi jams, coder dojos and other initiatives  and the young people that
go to those, and make sure if they are stuck, they get help,  that
looks good on the community plus helps them progress and not give up
because for example they can get networking on arch linux working, due
to no one being able to support them.

Paul

- --
http://www.zleap.net @zleap14