[ubuntu-uk] How old is your computer?

David Chatterton dmchatterton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 15:56:59 UTC 2015

For what it is worth, I recently bought a Dell XPS13-9333 that came with
Ubuntu 12.04 pre-installed. Almost as soon as I switched it on, I
received a message advising of an upgrade to 14.04 being available which
I accepted. The upgrade retained the Dell-supplied drivers for the WiFi
and Bluetooth chip however.

Since I bought the laptop specifically as a platform on which to learn
more about Linux and Ubuntu, I experimented with creating a bootable USB
thumbdrive containing the Ubuntu 14.04 ISO installation downloaded from
the Ubuntu website. The laptop booted up well enough (using Ubuntu's own
drivers) to give me the confidence to do a fresh install from the
thumbdrive. I have since upgraded the OS to Ubuntu 14.10 and most things
seem to work reliably with the exception of the built-in sound system
that seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes it does not detect the
built-in speakers and at other times it links them to HDMI. I find that
plugging in a pair of headphones and re-selecting the speakers will
correct the linkage although the sound remains directed to the
headphones as one would expect with a normal headphone socket. I have
filed a number of bug reports on this and similar subjects but Canonical
people seem to have more important things to do.

I have not attempted to contact Dell and, after reading your message,
have no intention to do so. Dell, unfortunately, seem to be tied to Windows.

I have to admit that a MacBook Pro is my main and dependable workhorse
as they are for my architect daughter and my design engineer son. I see
no reason to change that at present although I am hopeful that Linux /
Ubuntu will become the preferred platform for software that is otherwise
over priced.

Regards,

David