[ubuntu-uk] Reverse engineering data files

Gareth France gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 16:37:56 UTC 2015

I've got my new Primetest 300 tester today. I was rather peeved to
discover is ONLY downloads via bluetooth. Having purchased a dongle it
refused to connect. The bluetooth manager would flash up a code for me
to use for a fraction of a second then tell me it had failed. I did some
digging and someone suggested installing blueman which worked wonderfully.

However once connected you must then right click and select connect to
serial service which connects the tester to /dev/rfcomm0. So far so
good, the problem is the connection times out shortly after but ubuntu
keeps that port open and I have no idea how to close it so have to
reboot as the tester refuses to accept that it is connected unless you
close and re-open that port. Also I am not able to do the download at
all. It just keeps telling me the connection has timed out.

Using a gtkterm I have monitored the port and three chunks of data are
transmitted by the tester before it gives up:

1T*YUPrimeTest 300W35-0504�1T*YUPrimeTest
300W35-0504�1T*YUPrimeTest 300W35-0504�

I can only assume it is expecting a response to this in order to confirm
the PC is receiving. Any ideas?