[ubuntu-uk] Convergence video

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 13:37:27 UTC 2015

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:25:26 +0000
Barry Titterton <titterton.barry at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27/02/15 13:08, Alan Pope wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I thought some might find this video interesting. It was made by the
> > Ubuntu Desktop Engineering Manager Will Cooke, to demo some of the
> > current convergence ideas we're working on. It might make some
> > things make sense that we've been talking about for a few years
> > now. Hope so.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3PUYoa1c9M
> >
> > For those that can't or won't watch it the video, what's shown is
> > Ubuntu Touch based on Unity 8 and Mir on an x86 based tablet. Will
> > demonstrated a few standard things like browsing and video playback,
> > then switched to 'desktop' mode by attaching a bluetooth mouse. At
> > that point the user interface adapts with applications splitting off
> > into windowed mode assuming you want to work with it as a laptop.
> > When the mouse is detached or switched off it reverts back to touch
> > mode.
> >
> > It's quite a nice demo as it finally shows off an early version of
> > what we're aiming for.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Al.
> >
> Hi Al,
>
> Very impressive. I have a question:-
>
> What about keyboard input? Is there an on-screen keyboard, or do you
> need to connect a bluetooth keyboard as well?
>
> Regards,
>
> Barry T

There is an osk but the plan will be that if there is a keyboard
present that it will use that.  Initial bluetooth support for keyboards
has landed in vivid but they need to hook in a connected keyboard to
the actual system, not sure if this is done yet.

--
You Make It, I'll Break It!

I Love My Job :)

http://www.canonical.com