[ubuntu-uk] Computer restarts on shutdown

James Morrissey morrissey.james1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 15:14:51 UTC 2015

Thanks, i can only look at this during my evenings (i am currently in the
US).

On 3 February 2015 at 07:09, Stuart Ward <stuart.ward at bcs.org> wrote:

> On 3 February 2015 at 04:35, James Morrissey <morrissey.james1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to do this, but it is difficult to identify when the shutdown
>> begin (because messages are being printed to this all the time). Can anyone
>> tell me how i can identify this process, so that i can compare relevant
>> outputs for both processes (successful and unsuccessful shutdowns)?
>>

> Use the command
>
> $ logger "shutdown started"; sudo shutdown -h now

Are you saying that if i use this command, an entry in the log will be
generated stating 'shutdown started'? So i can just ctrl + f for that and
that will indicate the start of the shutdown sequence?

> -- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

James Morrissey (PhD)
Researcher Extractive Industries and Governance | Oxfam America
Junior Research Fellow in Refugee Studies | Lady Margaret Hall | University
of Oxford

Public PGP Key
<http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD3237D0FD928839B>