[ubuntu-uk] Keyboard shortcuts in 15.04

Grant Phillips-Sewell dcglug at phillips-sewell.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 07:29:15 UTC 2015

On 16 Dec 2015 07:02, "Barry Drake" <ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 15/12/15 21:53, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> This may do what you want.
>> System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Custom Shortcuts
>

> Hi Colin ....   It ought to work, shouldn't it?  As I said,
hibernate/wake really is hard coded into the <ctrl>+F3 combination.  In
custom shortcuts, you can't grab that one.  I'm going to see how many
others I am allowed to use.  <ctrl>+ a,b,c,etc, or alt or something.  I
really don't want a three key combination when you have to be really slick.

> It's beginning to feel more and more like the product I used to use -
what was it now?  Something soft?

> Regards,                Barry.

Hi Barry,

I couldn't find any documentation for Ubuntu or any other Linux system that
shows CTRL+F3 to be a hard coded sleep/wake combination. I did find that
there are lots of different ways to create keyboard shortcuts, so if it is
something that's been set in Ubuntu it could be tricky to pinpoint.

However, the fact that this combination wakes the machine up from sleep
leads me to ask whether the F3 key is the hardware sleep/wake key - does F3
have the usual sleep/wake symbol (typically a crescent moon) on it? Does
pressing F3 on its own also put the machines to sleep?

Grant. :)