[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu phone

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Fri Dec 4 15:52:58 UTC 2015

On 04/12/15 15:16, Liam Proven wrote:
 > I talked to the Tizen people at LinuxCon Europe in October.>
 > It is not as locked-down as all that, not for developers. But bear in
 > mind, it's for semi-embedded use, for locked-down single-function or
 > narrow-function devices with a rich UI. It's not a desktop distro or
 > one for the end-user to get in and customise.

I took a further look this morning.  It is impossible (almost) to get
Android apps without going via Google Play.  In order to use Google
Play, you have to give a Google login, and that  means a Google account
with all the information grabbing they do.  The outside sources (Amazon
is one), have a very limited range of apps, most of which are not for
serious work.

I've looked at both Tizen, and Sailfish
Maybe that's a good reason for Ubuntu's lack of enthusiasm for an
Android layer.

Regards,        Barry.
--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/