[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu phone

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Thu Dec 3 10:58:43 UTC 2015

On 02/12/15 12:52, Barry Drake wrote:

TIZEN
> They seem way ahead of Ubuntu in the phone market.  I'm sad about that.>
> I've subscribed to one of their mailing lists to keep informed.

I talked to some of the Tizen developer guys - The told me their OS is
so locked in, you wouldn't recognise it as a Linux distro.  You can't
access root at all, and a lot of the more powerful commandline items
have been removed!  One guy's comment was 'If you are any kind of
hacker, it is not for you'.  Sailfish (Jolla) is very much for the
hacker and the developer.  But - you'll like this - several guys at
Tizen said that the Ubuntu is the best of the lot!  They feel that if it
could support Android, it would have an enormous market!  And the code
Sailfish use for the Android platform is mostly FOSS and downloadable
straight from the Sailfish site.

Regards,		Barry.
--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/