[ubuntu-uk] Windows 10 - Still a disaster zone.

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sun Aug 2 20:07:36 UTC 2015

On 02/08/15 19:24, Gareth France wrote:
> Today I have upgraded a family member's laptop from Windows 8.1 to
> Windows 10.

I had Windows7 on a removable drive in a caddy on my desktop.  A couple
of days ago, I downloaded the Win 10 iso and did the free upgrade.  the
install process is painfully slow - but it worked.  I was surprised MS
allowed me to do it!  Windows 10 itself is much much better than I
expected.  I haven't tried to install anything - if I did, I doubt I'd
use the 'shop'.
Next time I fire it up, I'll try installing something.
Going from Win 7 to Win 10 changes the reg. number - and Microsoft
doesn't make it easy to retrieve it.  It's in the registry with the
characters written in Ascii-hex.  I think I got mine back OK, but I will
try one of the downloadable apps that get it back, next time I fire
Windows up (not for a few months, hopefully!).

Back on topic, I am delighted that Wine now installs and works properly
in Wily.  I have been using Mint for a while, and am glad to be back
with Ubuntu at last!

Regards,		Barry.

--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/