[ubuntu-uk] Issues packaging software

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Apr 28 08:32:36 UTC 2015

On 28 April 2015 at 09:17, Gareth France <gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:
> I must apologise that I have limited time to look at this, usually at the
> end of the day when I'm not at my best anyway. I've just performed debbuild
> on it and taken some time to scrutinise the output. It does seem to be
> experiencing some issues, though I'm a bit stumped as to what to do next:

Honestly, read the documentation. You have multiple issues here, but
they can be taken one at a time. Some are warnings so *may* be
ignored.

> dpkg-source: warning: no source format specified in debian/source/format,
> see dpkg-source(1)

the "see dpkg-source(1)" bit means "read the manual".

man dpkg-source

You'll find a section about the debian/source/format file:-

FILE FORMATS
   debian/source/format
       This file contains on a single line the format that should be  used  to
       build  the  source  package  (possible formats are described above). No
       leading or trailing spaces are allowed.

So the question is, in your debian/source directory, do you have a
file called "format"? If so, what does it contain?

> dpkg-source: warning: Version number suggests Ubuntu changes, but
> Maintainer: does not have Ubuntu address
> dpkg-source: warning: Version number suggests Ubuntu changes, but there is
> no XSBC-Original-Maintainer field

This might be handy for this:-

http://www.justgohome.co.uk/blog/2015/01/ubuntu-package-versions.html

(which is one of the first hits when you search for "Version number
suggests Ubuntu changes"

.. and so on.

It may however be worth going through the packaging guide which I
believe comprehensively covers all of this.

http://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/

It will take some time though. So it might be more time efficient to
outsource the packaging to some other expert, so you can concentrate
your limited time on developing your application.

Cheers,
Al.