[ubuntu-uk] Issues packaging software

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Apr 28 07:43:59 UTC 2015

On 28 Apr 2015 08:22, "Gareth France" <gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:

> If it were clear how to do this then I would most certainly have done so.
In practice I may have or I may have not. I have followed as much of the
process as makes sense.

It's incredibly unprofessional to upload software to any store on any
platform with zero testing. For the ubuntu store this is one of the reasons
it takes so long to get into the store. So many developers submitting code
and packaging that hasn't even been tested results in wasted time for our
people who review submissions and delays for everyone else.

There are plenty of guides to creating a VM or chroot in which to test, and
further guides detailing how to build and install Debian packages.

Many developers use pbuilder to have a clean environment to build in and
others build directly using debuild.

Personally I have used both, for example building packages like this...

cd ./sourcedir
debuild -us -uc

Which generates a deb if everything is sane.

Cheers,
Al