[ubuntu-uk] Issues packaging software

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Apr 27 13:09:33 UTC 2015

On 27 April 2015 at 13:37, Gareth France <gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:
> Ok, load the SDK, open a new project. Now I'm stuck. I just don't get any
> aspect of the concept of graphical programming.
> I really do think the only way I'm going to get it is to have some time face
> to face with someone who knows what they are
> doing, tutorials are great until you make a wrong move and get an error
> message, then because you can't ask a tutorial
> page questions you just get stuck.

This is a good place to start. I've been through this tutorial,
written by someone else, and it worked. It really clearly steps
through every bit of the process. It's good for QML applications which
are mobile focussed, less good for "legacy" type desktop applications
though.

http://people.canonical.com/~dholbach/tmp/apps-presentations/AppDevSchoolWorkshopWriteyourfirstapp.pdf

Also worth looking at simple tools like tkinter or wxPython or to make
graphical Python apps. Building up to other toolkits afterwards.

> In an earlier reply someone said the software centre isn't geared up to
> accept non-graphical commercial applications.

Right. Open up software centre and browse around. You'll see games and
graphical applications mostly.

It _is_ possible to put command line applications in there, but it's
not the best way to deliver them probably.

> Sounded a bit weird to me. I
> have managed to package an earlier version of my program before but it was
> slow, painful and I don't seem to be able to replicate it. The guidance
> given by Canonical is missing huge chunks of important information.

Debian packaging is not straightforward. This is one reason why we
developed click and then snappy packaging, which will debut in the
15.10/16.04 timeframe. That makes it very much easier to package up
applications.

> I really do think it would be of benefit for whoever maintains that guide to
> step me through this and note where I am having problems because it should
> be so straightforward for a simple program like this.

Well, there's going to have to be some research and learning on your
part too. Just throwing your hands in the air and saying "this is
broken" is somewhat defeatist.

I'm no packaging expert, far from it. I learned what I know from
looking at how other, simpler packages are setup and replicate that.
e.g. cowsay or indeed get_iplayer are simple apps which one can learn
a lot from, in terms of packaging.

Cheers,
Al.