[ubuntu-uk] Issues packaging software

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 12:50:06 UTC 2015

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 13:37:31 +0100
Gareth France <gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:

> > Probably worth starting from the beginning and stopping when it gets
> > difficult and ask for help at that point.
>
> Ok, load the SDK, open a new project. Now I'm stuck. I just don't get
> any aspect of the concept of graphical programming.
> I really do think the only way I'm going to get it is to have some
> time face to face with someone who knows what they are
> doing, tutorials are great until you make a wrong move and get an
> error message, then because you can't ask a tutorial
> page questions you just get stuck.
>
> > I am not following your logic. You can submit free apps to the
> > archive or a PPA. You can push paid apps to the store.
>
> In an earlier reply someone said the software centre isn't geared up
> to accept non-graphical commercial applications. Sounded a bit weird
> to me. I have managed to package an earlier version of my program
> before but it was slow, painful and I don't seem to be able to
> replicate it. The guidance given by Canonical is missing huge chunks
> of important information.
>
> I really do think it would be of benefit for whoever maintains that
> guide to step me through this and note where I am having problems
> because it should be so straightforward for a simple program like
> this.

You need to read up on creating a debian package.
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/publish/other-forms-of-submitting-apps/packaging-commercial-apps-part-1-get-set-up-overview-of-debian-packaging/

https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/publish/other-forms-of-submitting-apps/packaging-commercial-apps-part-2-packaging-software-additional-notes/

If it is a cli tool you can create an application launcher that calls
terminal and then opens the cli app but that is not recommended,
however it is not impossible and takes longer to review.

As for the gui guide follow the many examples on developer.ubuntu.com
there is more than just the hello world example, that should help you
get used to programing 1)in the sdk and 2) in a gui format.

There is no way that someone that wrote a guide can sit down and hand
hold someone through the process, however at the bottom of each page
there should be a link to file a bug if you are confused by a step.
Put the details into the bug.

--
You Make It, I'll Break It!

I Love My Job :)