[ubuntu-uk] More phone problems/observations

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 14:16:30 UTC 2015

Hi All

A few problems/observations from me:

1) For the second time I have been given a notification of '1819631974
voicemail messages'.  When I touch the phone icon on it, it just goes
away.  First time I had it, I didn't even have voicemail set up for the new
number I put on the phone.  Is it a bug, or a scam, or what?

2) Wifi doesn't let me choose what to connect to.  My Moto G Android phone
gives me a list of Wifi networks in my locality - mostly secure.  But there
is a BT Wifi and a BT Wifi with FON which are not secured, but have a poor
signal and will always give me a Network error as I'm not registered to use
them.  Every so often, my Moto G locks onto one of these, but I can tell it
to disconnect and forget it.  Now my Ubuntu phone has locked onto one of
them and I cannot find any way to get it back to my home Wifi.  Even
turning Wifi off in System Settings has no effect.

3) Battery Life is poor - between a day or two at the most.  My Moto G used
to be as bad, but has improved a lot with Lollipop.  I notice at least one
bug has been posted about this, so I hope it will be improved for the
Ubuntu phone.

4) Closing apps I find a real pain.  Perhaps someone will tell me how to do
it easily.  The only way I have found is to do a really precise slow swipe
from the right edge to about 2/3rds the way across the screen to get it to
show open apps, then swipe down the one I don't want.  The swipe from the
right edge has to be so precise that it take a few goes to get it right.
What I would like is for the < symbol at the top of the app window to
change to X on the home page and mean 'close'.  See System Settings as an
example of an app where this would work.  At the moment, only the browser
has a greyed out < on the home page, but just doing it for this would help
due to the way may apps 'offload' to the browser.

5) I've been tapping notifications to get to what they are telling me about
and nothing has been happening.  Now I find that tapping the icon, and only
the icon, works.  Not very intuitive, especially for ex-Android users.
Also, swiping the notification to the right, gives me a 'Delete' option.
It's not clear if this is to delete just the notification or the object
(email, for instance) it is telling you about.  Scary!

Those are the things bugging me at the moment. More to come, maybe.

Tony