[ubuntu-uk] Implications Of Secure Boot Lockout

Daniel Llewellyn diddledan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 23:12:58 UTC 2015

On 06/04/2015 18:27, Barry Titterton wrote:
> On 06/04/15 12:38, Nigel Verity wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have been reading recently that Microsoft are removing the
>> requirement for hardware manufacturers to provide a secure boot "off"
>> switch, in order to gain Windows 10 accreditation. If this comes to
>> pass it will place Linux distros entirely at the mercy of Microsoft
>> to sign their authentication keys, otherwise they will be shut out
>> from installation on mainstream computers.
> I have a vague recollection that Microsoft tried this approach in the
> early days of Win8 but the outcry produced the current 'Off Switch'
> option. I expect that the EU authorities will take a dim view of this as
> well, from the point of anti-competition, in the same way that they
> forced Microsoft to offer a choice of web browser.
>
> Barry T

I think you may be grasping the "OMG THE SKY IS FALLING" end of the
stick here. While there is the possibility that some OEMs may take this
relaxation and lock their hardware down to only allow MS certified
software, that is not what MS are requiring. The wording is "no longer
require an opt-out" and NOT "require that there is no opt-out".

--
Daniel Llewellyn