[ubuntu-uk] Automating find and replace

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 20:52:12 UTC 2014

On 17 September 2014 20:47, Gareth France <gareth.france at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Not helpful for solving the immediate problem I know, but for the
>> future the issue would be easy to solve if you kept a master copy of
>> your source in a version control system such as git.  Then if the site
>> becomes compromised you can just replace it with the correct code.
>> Git is trivially easy to setup and start using.
>>
>> Colin
>>
> I have taken a quick peek and it says git-hub is free for public, open
> source projects. I of course require private hosting as I wouldn't want
> people to peek behind my site. So is there a free option for doing this? I
> really don't have a budget for doing this sort of thing.

sudo apt-get install git git-gui gitk

To keep it happy it some config info that it uses to record who has made changes
git config --global user.email "me at somewhere.com"
may also need
git-config --global user.name "Yourname"

Then you can make a local repository for your stuff.  This seems like
a decent looking tutorial at first site.
http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/Git/article.html

Colin