[ubuntu-uk] old toshiba

Peter Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 17:00:50 UTC 2014

On 06/09/14 17:35, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 6 September 2014 18:30, mac <ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Norman
>> There's an article in issue 88 of Full Circle magazine (page 15) about
>> creating a minimal Ubuntu desktop. Might be worth a look:
>> http://fullcirclemagazine.org
>
> Windows XP shipped to OEMs in 2001 and the public in 2002. This PC
> probably predates the 21st century.
>
> It *maxes out* at 96MB RAM:
> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37114&start=15
>
> You can forget any current distro on it. It's even older than I
> thought with my previous comment. It might *just about* run DSL.

My old laptop (OEM Vista) now struggles with modern Ubuntu, but runs
Crunchbang #! fine, the light weight Openbox enviroment suits my needs
fine (the lack of pointy-clicky stuff suits that machine's dodgy
touchpad :) )

If you miss the mouse you can add a dock to it no problem (I tried cairo
dock for a while but just didn't use it in the end)

Takes a bit of getting used to but being Debian based helps alot!

Might be too much for such an old laptop though.

I have a friend with an ancient (pre XP) toshiba laptop who runs LXLE on
it just about usably !

Happy hunting

Pete S