[ubuntu-uk] Sharing files and folders between two 14.04 machines

J Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 13:30:44 UTC 2014

On 17 October 2014 14:08, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> But why run ssh on your own internal LAN? What's the point of encrypting it?

For file transfers I've found it to be slightly more reliable than
samba. I have a Netgear WNR-3500L (running Shibby's TomatoUSB) acting
as a NAS and samba would regularly die (granted this was probably the
firmware); SFTP, although slower by default, works consistently well.

It also acts as a control channel if e.g. I need to update other
machines etc. It's bloody useful.