[ubuntu-uk] Sharing files and folders between two 14.04 machines

Gordon Burgess-Parker gordonbp at mail.com
Thu Oct 16 17:53:00 UTC 2014

Two 14.04 machines on the same LAN.
I am having THE MOST ridiculous time trying to share files and folders
across the LAN between these two machines.
I've installed Samba on each machine - won't connect.
I've tried installing ssh server and client on each machine, when I
choose "connect to server" it won't browse, and if I put the IP address
of the other machine in, the "connect" button is greyed out.

How DIFFICULT can it be to share files and folders between two Ubuntu
14.04 machines on the same LAN?
Grrrrrrrrr!