[ubuntu-uk] New netbook?

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 09:29:19 UTC 2014

On 13 October 2014 18:43, J Fernyhough <j.fernyhough at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 October 2014 13:11, Gordon Burgess-Parker <gordonbp at mail.com> wrote:
> >
> > How do you find the battery life on your Lenovo x?
> > I have a Lenovo U410 and the battery life, even with TPL installed never
> > goes much over 3 hours...which is a pita....
>
> I can get 3 hours repeatably, but this is not light-use. There's
> normally a bit of software compilation, 3G device tethering, and
> probably phone charging, with base consumption about 16W according to
> powertop.
>
> I've found with mine that fancontrol can make a huge difference. The
> main fan sucks up about 8W on its lowest setting according to powertop
> (and the secondary some more), so setting fancontrol to activate a
> little higher than normal (60C or so rather than 45C) saves huge
> amounts of power; during normal use mine won't go much higher than 55C
> anyway.

I have a three year old Thinkpad Edge 11 and with Xubuntu and an SSD it
will manage 3-4 hours, dropping to 2.5 on a 3G data dongle. Lenovo machines
of that generation are quite well known for poor battery life and there are
third party long life battery packs to address the problem. It's worth
doing a little investigation into improving it.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"