[ubuntu-uk] New netbook?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 12:35:29 UTC 2014

On 6 October 2014 16:16, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com> wrote:
> Thanks to all of you for your advice.  I've found a refurbisher on e-bay who
> is willing to supply a Lenovo X201 with no OS and a full guarantee, so I'm
> going for that.  The price is great and the seller seems to have a really
> good reputation.  Thanks again.

Cool. Well, I hope it's all right and that you have no problems with it.

It is a bit bigger than my old netbook, it's true, so a bit less
portable, but it is /so/ much better as a computer -- better keyboard,
better screen, much faster -- that I don't really mind. The chap that
sold me mine suggested an SSD, as per Alan's suggestion, but it's
quick enough for the light duties I put it to -- mainly writing. It
has 4GB of RAM and seems to fly along with that for modest stuff.
LibreOffice writer had some responsiveness issues so I've switched to
Abiword, but otherwise, it's performing flawlessly.

JOOI I saw some very minor screen corruption issues under 13.10 -- one
character would sometimes get random "snow" in it, occasionally
repeated in a few places around the screen. However the machine
upgraded to 14.04 with no problems at all and this has fixed the
issue.