[ubuntu-uk] unity doesn't load after kernel update?

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:03:51 UTC 2014

On 26/11/14 12:00, Will Cooke wrote:
> Hi Alan,  could you try resetting compiz's configuration:
>
> First "rm -rf ~/.compiz-1" if it exists
> Then run "gsettings reset-recursively
> org.compiz.core:/org/compiz/profiles/unity/ "
>
> Then reboot (or restart lightdm) and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks Will,

I'll try and do this later today (I am using my laptop for work right
now - gnome-fall-back is rather refreshing and quite usable) but can you
tell me if this will delete my personal settings for the Launcher and
Unity before I do?

> I spoke to the Unity & Compiz maintainers, and they are looking to put
> back in a reset option to compiz to make this easier to fix, if indeed
> this does fix it.

This has happened to me a few times over the years for no obvious reason
and is a right PITA to get back as all my settings are invariably lost.

Cheers

Al