[ubuntu-uk] Screenshot: can't clear old image files, where are they

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 17:28:49 UTC 2014

On 15/11/14 17:19, Simon Greenwood wrote:
> On 15 November 2014 14:44, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Rowan, pardon my naivety, but have you tried Shutter as the screenshot
>>> app - it has gone
>>> it's gone through several system upgrades here [new system, old home
>>> folder].
>>> It is, in fact, my app of choice for all the functionality you describe.
>>>
>>>   I just installed Shutter, following your suggestion - and rather
>> extraordinary this - it is doing exactly the same thing: printing, as
>> current screenshot, a screenshot which was actually taken at 0915 this am.
>> So whatever the problem is, it affects Shutter equally.
>>

> This is a complete guess but it sounds like Screenshot saves its output
> somewhere and then copies it to the destination, but that the scratch space
> has a temporary file in it that isn't getting overwritten.  Do you have
> other user accounts on your system or could you have run screenshot as root
> for some reason?
>
> The other possibility that comes to mind is that your system time is wrong
> for some reason and that screenshot is creating a file with an out of date
> timestamp and that's confusing it. I'll have a quick look through the
> source code and see if there are any clues.

Thanks.. I don't think it's anything I've done - remember, I just
upgraded to 14:10 yesterday early am, and the problem has been ongoing
from there, and not before. I should say that it is not unusual for some
system variable to get knocked off course during an upgrade. I quite
often used to find user preferences had been changed by mistake during
upgrades and had to be reset.