[ubuntu-uk] Screenshot: can't clear old image files, where are they

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 13:59:33 UTC 2014

On 15 November 2014 13:42, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15/11/14 13:38, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 15 November 2014 12:50, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I haven't been using Print Screen, I have been using the Screenshot
>>> application, because I always want to select an area by hand. But it is
>>> interesting that the Print Screen command always reverts the destination
>>> folder to Pictures, no matter how often I try to change it to Desktop.
>>> But
>>> this doesn't really solve my problem. I can find the resulting image
>>> file,
>>> whether it is in Desktop or in Pictures. the trouble is, it is not the
>>> present screen, but an old one, stored somewhere and regurgitated
>>> repeatedly. So the question must be, where?
>>

>> Just to clarify, are you saying that if you hit printscreen, enter a
>> filename, select an appropriate folder, and hit save, that it saves a
>> file where requested, with the correct name, but with the wrong
>> contents?
>>
>> Colin
>>
> yep. old contents.

If you run, in a terminal
gnome-screenshot
do you see an error something like
** (gnome-

screenshot:5026): WARNING **: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin
screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11. Error:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.gnome.Shell was not provided by any .service files

If so then perhaps it is this bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-screenshot/+bug/1103847

Colin