[ubuntu-uk] Constant crashing

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Fri May 30 07:30:01 UTC 2014

On 30/05/14 08:16, Gareth France wrote:
> Unfortunately not, until I return there this afternoon. Being a
> desktop it may not even have a model. All I know off hand is that it
> is a Pentium 4.

If it never had a memory upgrade, you could be struggling with lack of
memory and excessive use of swap.  Take a note of the memory size and
the size of the swap partition.  You might consider one of the
lightweight *buntus as a better starting point.  I have a Windows 2000
box that had been upgraded both in memory and motherboard. Performance
is well below average with Ubuntu, but with Lubuntu (I think that's what
I put on it), it performs really well.

Regards,        Barry Drake.