[ubuntu-uk] WMA Audio / GStreamer Problem

Elfy ub.untu at btinternet.com
Wed May 14 07:06:49 UTC 2014

On 13/05/14 23:49, Nigel Verity wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am running Xubuntu 14.04. All my audio and video files play perfectly in VLC and Parole. Clementine plays Ogg and mp3 files but will not play Windows Media Audio (wma) format files. A message is displayed stating "Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in" but it doesn't go into any details.
>
> I have installed Xubuntu-restricted-extras. In the past this has resulted in my being able to play every format, including wma.
>
> Can anybody suggest which plugin I need to install, or guide me towards a log which might provide some pointers?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nige

Digging about it seems that Clementine requires gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg -
which is available for trusty in a PPA

|sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

|I just checked that in |Utopic - have to change the sources to trusty,
but clementine does in fact now play wma for me now.

I'd not noticed Clemetine not playing wma - I had noticed it not playing
mpc's though ...

Kev