[ubuntu-uk] Ending Dual-Boot

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Wed Mar 12 12:44:00 UTC 2014

On 11/03/14 07:08, Neil Greenwood wrote:

> On 10 March 2014 16:38:47 GMT, Daniel Llewellyn <diddledan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>     On 10 March 2014 16:38, Daniel Llewellyn <diddledan at gmail.com
>     <mailto:diddledan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         dpkg -l | grep '^i'
>
>         --
>
>         dpkg -l (lowercase L) lists all packages that are installed or
>         otherwise known to the system (such as those packages you've
>         removed but not purged). To filter the list to just installed
>         packages we pipe the output (that's the | character which is
>         shift+\) to grep which checks for lines beginning (^) with the
>         letter "i" which is what dpkg -l outputs for installed packages.
>

>         On 9 March 2014 17:34, Peter Smout <smoutpete at gmail.com
>         <mailto:smoutpete at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     sorry, I failed and top-posted :-(
>
>     --
>     Daniel Llewellyn
>
>     --
>     ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>

> You probably want to exclude automatically installed dependencies from
> the list of packages, otherwise you lose the ability of the tools to
> tidy up the things you're not using for you.
>
> I can't remember how to do it just with dpkg - I have a script that
> uses aptitude to get the list of packages for me. IIRC you want an i
> in the first column and not an A in the second, so the grep would be
>
> grep i[^A]
>
> I have another script that runs through all installed packages and
> tries to mark them as auto installed. Any that would cause something
> to be uninstalled are written to a list. This list is then the minimum
> set of packages to install to re-create the package collection. Plus
> you get a system where auto remove works nicely!
>
> Although one thing you need to watch for is that you don't uninstall
> something you still want when removing a package...
>
> I'll dig the scripts out later and post links to paste bin.
>

> Neil

You may want dpkg -l | less

so you can see all packages and scroll down,

or dpkg -l > package list

Paul

web : http://www.zleap.net
twitter : @zleap14

Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam,  12th April 2014 - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.