[ubuntu-uk] Should ubuntu play DVDs gratis?

Daniel Llewellyn diddledan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 00:09:02 UTC 2014

Andres,

www.fluendo.com

fluendo dvd player is a proprietary product which can play DVDs. Fluendo
also do a pack of "codecs" which include among others a plugin for Windows
Media format (unencrypted only). The codecs work for any gstreamer-based
player but not others such as mplayer, vlc or xine. Also the DVD player is
a separate app which doesn't enable DVD playback in totem or any other
player which you may prefer :-(.

On 1 March 2014 23:02, Andres <a75576 at alumni.tecnun.es> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I got some DVDs from my local library disney or disney type films. Fairly
> recent and old ones.
>
> Started reading:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
>
> Is libdvdcss2 legal un uk?
>
> Is there a payable pakage I need install? I seem to recall one of the
> first things you could buy in the software centre* had something to do with
> this, f(…) something? Might be an option to buying a new DVD.
>

> --
> Enviado desde mi teléfono con K-9 Mail.

Daniel Llewellyn