[ubuntu-uk] "Alphabetise" != en_GB

Anthony Harrington Untaintableangel at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 20:49:57 UTC 2014

On 30/07/14 21:35, J Fernyhough wrote:
> On 30 July 2014 20:51, Anthony Harrington
> <Untaintableangel at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 30/07/14 20:23, Bruno Girin wrote:

>>> I think the term is now "verbise".
>>>
>>> (I agree it's not stylistically en_GB. I don't see what's wrong with the established "Sort desktop icons by name")
>>
>> I agree. I immediately understand "Sort desktop icons by name" while I have to think twice to understand "Alphabetise Desktop Icons" so I'd prefer the former as it's more explicit.
>>
>> Bruno
>>
>> Isn't 'sort desktop icons by name' a bit wordy/long though? You are essentially 'alphabetising' them?
>>

> I'll lean on my teaching experience here. While "Sort desktop icons by
> name" has more words it's far easier to understand and process.
>
> Sort
> desktop icons
> by name
>
> It makes sense and all words are one or two syllables. "Alphabetise"
> is not only a difficult word to read, it's too long to read in one go
> (people read primarily by word shape not by individual letters; also
> notice how you (probably) have to move your eyes to read "alpha" and
> "betise" separately).
>
> Finally, I'd argue the actual length difference is negligible:
>
> Alphabetise = 11 chars
> Sort by name = 12 chars inc. spaces
>
> "Never utilise a lengthier word on the occasion a shorter equivalent
> will suffice."
>

> Jonathon

"Never utilise a lengthier word on the occasion a shorter equivalent
will suffice."

^ exactly the intent.
I had no idea there would be disdain for such a harmless word as
'alphabetise' much less that it was /difficult to read/(?), but if the
consensus is for 'sort by name', i'll have the team see to it for Utopic.

--
Launchpad translator and linux chemist ^_^
https://launchpad.net/~untaintableangel

Team leader for Launchpad's British English and Latin teams