[ubuntu-uk] Windows free at last!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 01:24:16 UTC 2014

On 30 January 2014 16:34, Bea Groves <beagroves at gmail.com> wrote:
> Y'know the comical thing is: when I read the subject line I had a sudden
> vision of Microsoft finally giving in and going open-source! ;-)

Well, quite.

It should have said "Windows-free at last!" The missing hyphen changes
the meaning.

With a hyphen: "Someone or something is finally free of Windows"
Without a hyphen: "Windows is finally free!"

But nobody respects punctuation any more... :-(

I was misled by the subject line because there is some debate that,
following Apple's recent lead (and the late Sun's earlier move, before
its hostile acquisition by Oracle) of making their OSes small-f free -
as in, free of charge, gratis - that MICROS~1 might do the same with
Windows 9.

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk * GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven