[ubuntu-uk] Windows free at last!

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Thu Jan 30 21:21:18 UTC 2014

On 30/01/14 21:04, Gibbs wrote:
> I've noticed a lot more people using Libre Office, including big
> companies like British Gas, which makes life easier for /everyone/.

Now that is interesting!  Not so many years back, there was a deep
suspicion of open source programs.  It is excellent complex systems like
Libreoffice that have paved the way towards widespread acceptance of
open source.  Also, it is becoming recognised that ODF is a certified
ISO standard, whereas the de facto Microsoft file formats are less
reliable and non-portable.  I am sure that Microsoft's adoption of the
x file formats (docx etc) has in the long term done the corporation a
lot of harm.  Microsoft has been forced into supporting ODF and is
clearly very annoyed by this.  A little humility and listening to
ordinary folk might have gone a long way.

Regards,        Barry Drake.