[ubuntu-uk] Open formats in UK gov?

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 30 08:59:47 UTC 2014

The example of the City of Munich is certainly encouraging but the difference in scale between the Munich administration and the UK government is many orders of magnitude.

My own view is that there will never be a single strategic decision to move UK government IT infrastructure from Microsoft technololgies to FLOSS alternatives, but that doesn't mean the goal will never be achieved.

Hoping for Windows to be replaced by Linux on the basis of simple substitution is possibly an out-dated aspiration. Although it's a very long process, and often poorly implemented, an increasing amount of government IT is moving from the desktop to the intranet. At some point, this should result in users being able to complete all their tasks using Chromebook-type devices, where the device OS is of little strategic importance. Likewise, the OS running on the server will become less important. There could well come a time when government IT managers are in a position to choose the right OS for the job.

Nige