[ubuntu-uk] nvidia 331 update

SuperEngineer boosys at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 20:51:29 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

following an update that also downloaded [& installed without error]
updated nvidia drivers [331] I looked in Additional Drivers and they
were listed.  No option to activate the new was presented but the
Additional Drivers shows them with the green mark next to them, as if
available/installed].
[screenshot here http://imagebin.org/289781 ]

I removed current driver, nvidia 304 post release updates
["version-304-updates"], but the updated driver still had no option to
activate.  Maybe I should have rebooted before seeing if it could be
activated - but I was determined to "play it safe"... mainly because
Steam keeps reminding me the drivers are available.
When it reminds me of "new driver package available" & offers choice to
upgrade or cancel - if I select upgrade I get the following on-screen
crash "report".
[screenshot here http://imagebin.org/289782 ]

I am obviously missing something, maybe I'm missing the entire point
here but don't know what that might be.  I *would* like to update the
driver but caution rules at this point.. [I have reinstated original
driver [304].

As such I am not sure if I should post a bug yet or not, or if I do,
where/what against... nvidia, steam, graphics, drivers etc etc.

Apologies for the long winded explanation here & screen shots but me
confused!

Thanks in advance to anybody who takes the time to look into this.

--
Bill B. [SuperEngineer]