[ubuntu-uk] Pipelight and more.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 17:27:10 UTC 2014

On 23 February 2014 15:18, Michael <help at ukcentre.com> wrote:
> I too avoid "MS Windows" as far as possible.

You too? As well as whom? Your message is not a reply so we don't know
to whom else you are comparing yourself.

> The latest Chrome and Firefox updates now mean that one can use Eurosport
> Player and Love film on either, many thanks to the Wine/Pipelight team for
> their determination !

I had not heard of Pipelight before. It looks interesting, although I
don't watch sport online so have no direct need for it, and I don't
pay for streaming services as there are so many free ones with no DRM.

> No, "Word", Libreoffice does it all.

Sadly, not everything, but I agree it does most of what I need. It is
poor at macros and .docx handling is imperfect.

> No expensive film decoder, VLC will decode a film from any region, without
> tripping a region change in a DVD player, that dreaded 4 changes only thing
> !

Yes, that's handy, but VLC doesn't use all of a GPU's acceleration
features so performance is not always all it should be.

> The Ubuntu cost advantage, even if one donates to the design teams, a
> donation will be far less than a MS operating system cost, or film decoder
> cost.

That's true. Although Apple now has made Mac OS X 10.9 free of charge;
there is debate that Microsoft may follow with Windows 9. Windows 8.1
is a free upgrade from 8, which is a first for the company.

> Thanks to Canonical for their international support, can it possibly get
> better ?

I have never used it. Do tell - I've never talked to anyone who's used
their paid-support services.

> All will be revealed in 12.04.

I know from your follow-on message you meant 14.04. LTS releases are
usually quite conservative - don't expect all that much!

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk * GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven