[ubuntu-uk] Computer restarts on shutdown

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 16:46:10 UTC 2014

On 17 February 2014 16:37, James Morrissey <morrissey.james1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10. All the same problem

Oh my!

[...]

> Given all the updates, i assume this is something which is not being picked
> up.

I can only agree.

It might be possible to change some ACPI settings in the BIOS to
circumvent this, or pass commands to the kernel in startup parameters,
but if you did it might adversely affect power management. I think
you're stuck with it, then. Sorry to have to say so.

FWIW, once the machine is in its POST, it's safe to turn off. It's how
I do a quick shutdown:

Ctrl-Alt-F1 to the system console
Ctrl-Alt-Del
(Wait for reboot)