[ubuntu-uk] Firefox hogging the processor

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 13:13:10 UTC 2014

On 2 February 2014 12:33, J Fernyhough <j.fernyhough at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 February 2014 12:25, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I should have said, it is the standard version from the 13.10 repo.
> > 26.0+build2-0ubuntu0.13.10.2
> > I might give the beta a go if I can work out how to install it.
> >

> The easiest way to test is to just download from mozilla.org,
> unarchive, and run:
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/aurora/
>
> ;)

I had a very similar problem with Ubuntu 9.04 with both Firefox and
Thunderbird that seemed to be related to the Flash plugin, but also
manifested itself with the OpenJDK plugin. I also ended up switching to the
Aurora build but ultimately switched to Chrome. The issue seemed to be that
the plugin (whichever one it was) didn't die when the client code was
killed and would just start eating up cycles. Restarting Firefox (or
Thunderbird) would solve the problem but I had to block Flash to prevent it
from happening. I suspect that it may be related to the internal
architecture on specific processors which is why it's not a common issue. I
certainly haven't had it for some time.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood